MID-POWER Q-SWITCHED LASERS
- OEM/Industrial design for
- Harmonic module readily removed or added for wavelength swapping or service
- Short pulses, high peak power for minimal thermal damage
The Spectra-Physics HIPPO lasers are a family of high power diode-pumped solid state (DPSS) Q-switched lasers with available outputs of 1064 and 266 nm wavelengths. They are used primarily in 24/7 industrial applications such as solar cell manufacturing, LED scribing and other microelectronics applications.
The HIPPO Q-switched laser is among the most popular industrial DPSS lasers available. It has a strong track record and large installed base around the world. Our diodes last double the industry average. The laser’s modular design allows easy field replacement of key components including diodes and fibers, laser output window, and the harmonic module without costly tool realignment. Rugged and proven, the HIPPO is the tool of choice in applications where uptime is critical.
|Model||Wavelength||Peak Power||Average Power||Pulse Width||Repetition Rate (nominal)|
|HIPPO 1064-17 DPSS Laser||1064 nm||~22.7 kW||>17 W||<15 ns at 50 kHz||50 kHz|
|HIPPO 1064-27 DPSS Laser||1064 nm||~9 kW||>27 W||<30 ns at 100 kHz||100 kHz|
|HIPPO Prime 266-2 DPSS Laser||266 nm||~3.3 kW||>2 W||<12 ns at 50 kHz||50 kHz|
HIPPO Q-switched lasers are characterized by extremely short pulse width (as low as <11 ns). High peak power and short pulse widths minimize undesirable thermal damage, such as heat affected zones, recast material, kerfs, and micro-cracking of the substrate.
All HIPPO Q-switched lasers have excellent beam quality, which ensure a large depth of field and guarantee consistent and reliable scribing results over a wider range of material flatness, thickness, and surface variations.
HIPPO lasers have stable power, low pulse-to-pulse energy variation, and stable beam pointing over a wide range of operating conditions, including time, temperature, and pulse repetition rate.
The HIPPO Q-switched laser’s strong track record and installed base around the world, combined with attention to laser design, testing, global service and support make it the laser of choice for solar cell and microelectronics manufacturing applications, where high uptime is critical. HIPPO key features include:
- Compact Size – for ease of integration
- Modular Design – for easy field service, including:
- Plug and play harmonic modules – laser head can be separated into the IR cavity and harmonic module (for 266 nm), allowing you to easily switch among wavelengths and to isolate key wear mechanisms in an easily replaceable module
- Field replaceable laser output window – corrects for burn spots caused by airborne particulates generated from the ablation process
- Field replaceable diodes and fibers – allow both diodes and fibers to be easily replaced in the field, without requiring costly tool re-alignment or system downtime
- Field replaceable shutters
- Interchangeable laser head and power supply
- EternAlign™ Optics (on HIPPO 1064-27, HIPPO Prime 266-2) – our rugged I-beam laser housing and EternAlign™ optics eliminate potential damage and optical misalignment resulting from vibration and shipping
- User Friendly – clear, logical command structure and easy graphical user interface make the HIPPO quick and easy to integrate
- Harmonic Crystal Shifters (on HIPPO Prime 266-2) – compensate for power loss due to crystal degradation, allowing instant restoration of the laser to full power
- ALPS (on HIPPO Prime 266-2) – our unique Active Laser Purification System™ maintains the laser cavity clean and dry over the life of the laser to significantly extend laser life
- Data Logging (on HIPPO 1064-27) – keeps a log of key performance parameters over time and provide a powerful service feature and product reliability tool
Spectra-Physics Q-Switched DPPS lasers have been designed for micromachining applications in a 24/7 manufacturing environment. Founded in 1961, Spectra-Physics has shipped thousands of lasers into the key industrial markets where 24/7 system operation and the demand for system uptime makes product reliability a key element in laser selection.
- Microelectronics: processing and repair of semiconductors, flat panel displays, PCBs, LEDs, electronic packages, storage media, etc.
- Solar: scribing, drilling, doping, marking, dicing etc. of photovoltaic cells and modules
Reliable by Design
Spectra-Physics industrial lasers have a number of unique design features that significantly increase the both laser life and uptime. Our diodes typically last twice the industry average. The lasers’ modular design isolates known wear components and key failure mechanisms into small components (such as diodes, fibers, output window, shutters, and harmonic modules) that are easy to change in the field without costly tool realignment. This lowers service inventory holding costs while shortening Mean Time to Repair (MTTR).
Our proprietary optical alignment system (EternAlign™) and rugged laser housing virtually eliminate alignment failures that can occur with vibration and shock during shipping. The sealed laser resonator and unique filtration system (ALPS) significantly extends the life of the laser by keeping the air inside the laser clean, dry, and free of volatile organic compounds from out-gassing.
And finally our automatic data logging software monitors all key laser performance parameters over the life of the laser, providing a powerful service feature and product reliability tool.
Quality and Reliability Processes
Our quality and reliability efforts lead the industry, including:
- ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- Supplier Consolidation & Partnerships
- Customer & Product Focused Reliability Improvement Plans
- Continuous Improvement Process
- Failure Analysis & Corrective Actions
- Quality Issue Escalation
- Customer Audits
- Laser Cavity Contamination Reduction
- Compliance Certification
- Product Life Cycle Control
- Design FMEA methodology
- On Time Delivery
- New Product Qualification & Reliability Testing
- Return Material Management
- Thorough Final Testing
- Headroom & Process Control
- QMS Maturity & Maintenance
Our renowned global service and support organization is comprised of a staff of friendly, experienced, and responsive laser experts. We offer a wide range of available service products including:
- Spare parts
- System repair
- System refurbishment
- Extended warranties
With our commitment to quality and reliability, Spectra-Physics Q-switched DPSS lasers offer the best in industrial reliability—higher uptime, lower mean time to repair (MTTR), and lower cost of ownership.
The HIPPO Q-switched laser family delivers high power at all wavelengths [up to 27 W at 1064 nm (IR) and 2 W at 266 nm (UV)] to enable high throughput in various applications such as solar cell laser scribing and microelectronics manufacturing. High peak power and short pulse width minimize undesirable thermal damage, such as heat affected zones, recast material, kerfs, and micro-cracking of the substrate.
All HIPPO Q-switched lasers naturally emit a TEM00 beam, which ensure a large depth of field and guarantee consistent and reliable scribing results over a wider range of material flatness, thickness, and surface variations.
Key HIPPO applications include:
|Application||1064 nm||266 nm|
|Laser Scribing of P1 Thin Film Solar Cells
Technical Overview, a-Si TF Scribing, Mo-Si TF Scribing, M2 Overview
|c-Si Solar Cell Edge Isolation||HIPPO 1064-27
|Laser Deflashing Electronics Package Leads||HIPPO 1064-27
|Flexible Circuit Laser Processing||HIPPO 1064-27
|Laser Marking on Various Metals and Plastics||HIPPO 1064-27
|Sapphire (LED) Laser Scribing
Scribing/dicing of Sapphire, GaAs, GaN,
|HIPPO Prime 266-2|
|LED Laser Liftoff||HIPPO Prime 266-2|
|Silicon Wafer Laser Scribing, Technical Overview||HIPPO 1064-27|
|HIPPO 1064-27||HIPPO 1064-17||HIPPO Prime 266-2|
|Wavelength||1064 nm||1064 nm||266 nm|
|Average Power||27 W at 100 kHz||17 W at 50 kHz||2 W at 50 kHz|
|Repetition Rate||30–250 kHz||15–300 kHz||30–300 kHz|
|Pulse Width||<30 ns at 100 kHz||<15 ns at 50 kHz||<12 ns at 50 kHz|
|Detailed Specifications||HIPPO High Power IR Laser Data Sheet||HIPPO Mid Power IR Laser Data Sheet||HIPPO Prime 266 nm UV Laser Data Sheet|
|HIPPO Data Sheet|
Disruptive cost-performance UV and green lasers
Industry leading history/reliability for trimming and micromachining
|Explorer One XP
Compact green and UV mid-power all-in-one lasers